Saturday 10 February 2018

A Weary Winter!

It has been some time since I scribed my latest outings, but the truth is there has not been much to write home about! So this wont take long :)

This winter so far has been terrible, so much so that next winter I will need to sit down and work out where I want to fish and evaluate my approach big time.

Still, Autumn gave a couple of good results, so here is what happened since my last blog:

Wrightington - Rivington View

We neared  the end of the club season with my Eight Bells A.C. and it was onto "Rivi View". I drew a decent peg towards the end of the main island. A peg I had won from a few years previously fishing a method feeder and pinging pellets over the top.

This time the weather was relatively mild so I began on the method, but anticipated fish might come shallow. They did indeed, and the match went relatively simple fishing a 6mm hard pellet around 3ft deep for a nice stamp of carp. 90lb 12oz gave a nice win and I had the impression it could be the last decent weight of the year.


Last decent weight of 2017. Part of the 90lb 12oz
Bradshaw Fishery - Lake 3 Fur & Feather

With the temperature dropping, our last match of the season was our fur & feather on a lake that I always enjoy fishing. The draw I didn't fancy as it put me on a peg towards the far end of the lake by the car park where everybody had been crashing and banging about. However within 20 minutes of fishing a soft pellet and tapping micros over, I could sense the fish coming up in the water despite the cool conditions. Again a switch shallow against the far bank grass gave me a nice busy day with lots of fish averaging around 1lb and ended the season with a win.

A nice days autumn fishing with part of my 58lb 8oz

Docklow Weekender:

For those who have read my blogs since they began will know over the years I have spent a lot of time at Docklow Pools in Herefordshire. However the last couple of years I just haven't had the time to get down there enough. Still, I managed to run a weekend for the lads in my club with a couple of the midland lads joining us. I enjoyed a couple of days fishing for silvers with a few F1s but could only muster a section win by default. My mate Jez Bown bossed us all with a weekend total of 4 points and 81lb weight total.

My mate Jez bashed us all up in November




Partridge winter league teams of 4 Burt Baits Team:

I usually spend the winter fishing with my pals in the midlands and their Ice Breakers A.C. but this year wanted to concentrate closer to home to avoid all the driving.

Since then I have rued my decision! I cannot fish every round but was determined to fish over half and help the lads try and do well. Captain Colin Mulholland has been realistic from the off stating that if we could finish half way against some quality opposition that would be a good result.

Round 1 I kicked off quite well on Covey 1 with 20lb+  beating 5 and posting 7 points on the scoreboard.

Round 2 on Covey 3 I fished a nice steady match putting 29lb on the scales off a decent peg for 2nd on the lake and 2 points winning my section.  I then missed a round due to work commitments and each round since has been a disaster.

Covey 4 left me last on the lake with 13lb and Covey 3 gave me a blank, literally not a bite.

Two rounds to go and I can fish one of them so hopefully a bit of redemption would be nice. As a team we lie 10th from 12 teams which has been disappointing but as a whole the complex has been very difficult and a lot of good anglers have struggled.



One oft the few highlights from Partridge this winter.


Alongside the blank at Partridge I also suffered another one pre-xmas. I thought I would mention it as it is possibly the worst match I have ever fished on a commercial. The venue was Packington Somers Little Gearys with my Ice Breakers pals as I promised I would fish their pairs match.

Long story short 15 of us fished and 1 F1 was caught between all of us. We literally had to draw for the prize money. I think that demonstrates how hard some waters have been...no matter how prolific they maybe. My old mate Keith Hanley bagged the one fish so well done to him!

Packington, a long journey to catch sweet FA.

Section Success:

Now January is out of the way things have perked up a little bit. A trip to Tunnel Barn Farm with the Ice Breakers gave me a section win. I felt I drew the wrong end of the lake with a difficult wind. But 13lb+  was better than a poke in the eye with a stick, especially after the recent blanks!

To avoid much travel I have concentrated on my Rochdale club water the past couple of weeks. First up on the more carp focused water called Startch. I managed 6 small specimens and a nice Skimmer for 13lb+ and section win. Next up it was for a days bit bashing on our match lodge. I aimed for 4lb but the bonus skimmer I targetted didn't materialise so 30+ little roach for 1lb 5oz and another section win was OK.

Conclusion:

A really disappointing winter so far, but fingers crossed a corner has been turned. When I have had a poor result I cannot put my finger on what I have done wrong. I have fished nice and tidy and kept things very simple, but just not had the results.

One thing I have realised is that I will not do a winter league on a snake lake venue again. I find it too restrictive and being honest...boring. Everybody fishes very similar in lines of 4ft across the far shelf trickling maggots in, with a few fish down the track later on. Dobbing also comes into play which has never been my cup of tea.

I like venues that give plenty of options, be it species or tactics and some of the north west snake lakes do not offer anything except Pole and F1s.

Food for thought for next winter, but in the meantime I will keep plugging away and look forward to Spring.

Tight Lines
Dave

A final note must go to the memory of my old mate Steve Brookes who was the Match Secretary of our Eight Bells A.C. club. He also helped me begin match fishing when I was a kid with my first club the Failsworth Pelicans, ferrying me down to the Trent or giving me tips on our local canal.

His last cast came at my docklow weekender in November, but a couple of weeks later in December passed away in his sleep. He will be sadly missed for all he did for our club and for being a good bloke.



RIP Brooksie






No comments:

Post a Comment

Time for a catch up!

Well its been over a year since I last managed to pen something on my blog page!...Time really does go way to quick! In reality, my F...